Since the advent of home care services in the market, more families are opting to let their senior loved ones stay at home. While there is no shortage for a nursing facility for seniors in Australia, the hospice care Melbourne has to offer that enables seniors to stay at home with their families are also widespread. There are plenty of advantages by letting seniors stay home, but there are also disadvantages that go with it. For example, seniors won’t be able to socialize much as they spend more hours at home.
Social isolation is a significant issue that must be addressed when hiring home care services for seniors. You can, therefore, use the guidelines below to learn more about combating social isolation with hospice caring professionals at home:
• You should provide easy means of transportation for seniors. The inability to go out of the house is one of the things that can create a sense of social isolation for seniors. Most seniors do not or cannot drive; hence, they are forced to stay at home and become socially disconnected. It is therefore important to arrange easy means of transportation for seniors so they can easily go out of the house whenever they need to. If you can afford it, you can hire a driver to take them where they need to go when they want it. During your free time, you can also drive them yourself. If they must take public transport, the aging care professional must accompany them to provide assistance.
• Allow seniors to attend religious activities. Even something as simple as attending a mass regularly can be beneficial for seniors so they won’t suffer from social isolation. In fact, you can enlist them in religious groups that regularly hold gatherings and meetings with fellow seniors. This is a good opportunity for them to meet new people and establish social relationships with like-minded people.
• Dine with them. When you leave seniors behind at home as you work or go to school, they are left alone with the health care provider or nurse. Therefore, it is important to spend time with them whenever you can. One example is to share a meal with them. Small things like these can help them maintain social connection and not feel a sense of isolation.
• Give them a hug. Aside from the verbal communication, nothing can communicate love and appreciation better than a hug. Therefore, you should give your senior loved ones a hug whenever you can.
• Give them a hobby. This hobby can be something they like to do on their own, or with other people. Either way, establishing a hobby can provide many benefits to seniors and also give them a sense of purpose.
When looking for home care services for your senior loved ones, do not focus entirely on their physical and medical health issues. Their emotional well-being is top importance as well; hence, giving them the opportunity to socially interact can be good for their overall health. You can learn more about how to combat social isolation with the professionals at http://www.arcare.com.au.